Saturday, December 20, 2014

Concrete and Flowers in Sault Ste. Marie

I share my heart, body, and general living space with a guy.  He's been around, geographically speaking, and likes to take pictures of the places and things he sees along the way.

The photograph this painting is based on was taken at the waterfront in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, back in the days when we were mere sharing a few mutual friends, rather than the things listed above. I was struck by the contrast of the grays, browns and various neutral tones with the bright pink of the flower's petals.
Acrylic on 20x16 Canvas
This is what I refer to as a 'rough start'.  I got started on it sometime in 2011 and lost interest about halfway through.  I didn't end up coming back to it until May 2013, at the boy's suggestion.  Part of the issue I had originally was the result of not knowing how to make the lines of the fencing not only straight, but narrow enough (A ruler? What's that?).

I ended up masking off areas to make the lines more crisp and straight, and I think it worked well enough.

1 comment:

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.