Monday, December 22, 2014

Construction Office


I'm not quite sure what to call this.

A few springs ago I took a walk along this abandoned property just outside of town.  The home that used to exist there burned or was torn down ages ago, leaving nothing but the foundation.  I had gone exploring with the intent of taking some pictures of the ruins in the bush.

While tramping around in the woods, I inevitably got myself turned around and came out of the woods about a kilometer away from where I had parked, into what would later become a luxury housing development near the local marina.

When I looked at the pictures I took that day, including those around the land being 'developed', it struck me how the area, in its state of construction, resembled photographs I had seen of war-torn areas.

Acrylic on 20x24 canvas
This painting, based on one of the photos that came out of that session, was another 'rough start' that got put away for a number of years before I found the motivation to finish it.  I would take it out every six months or so, kind of dab at it, then put it away.  I finally finished it about three weeks ago, after starting it sometime in 2010.

The building in the foreground was being used at the time as the head contractor's office, although its existence far pre-dates the subdivision being put in.

I had a really hard time getting the proportion of the windows and bricks of the building and eventually said 'Screw it' and took an entire window out, so it's not true to life.

It's a bit of an impressionist piece, as I used more of a suggestion of brickwork on the building itself, the effect being more... well.. effective if you stand back a bit.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the outcome, especially in light of the fact that more than a few times I was tempted to trash this one entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.