Friday, December 19, 2014

Fifty Below Zero

Some time in the fourth or fifth grade, my oldest daughter's class was putting on a presentation of Robert Munsch's 50 Below Zero, and my dear, if somewhat misguided, daughter told her teacher that her mommy was an 'artist' and could paint a backdrop.

This was a pretty quick-and-dirty rendering of a snowscape similar to what I remembered of Michael Martchenko's illustrations.

Acrylic on 72x56 canvas

I'm still surprisingly enamoured of how it turned out.  The sky and walkway have a very matte appearance as I was using some pretty cheap student-grade acrylic black and blue colors.

But I like the bluish highlights in the snow and how you can see a bit of a corona around the moon.

This is also my biggest piece to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.