Sunday, December 21, 2014

Hips Like Cinderella

The Pixies' "Tame" starts off with a simple but infection bass riff, overlaid with a lascivious sounding Black Francis whispering about "Hips like Cinderella".  It's guaranteed to make me want to shake my own.

This is something I jokingly refer to as a self-portrait of my own ass.  That was never the intent, however.  The final product, with the studded belt, dark-washed blue jeans, and black shirt riding up ended looking a lot like well.. my ass.  At the time.

Acrylic on 8x10 canvas

I need to stop trying to incorporate text into my paintings because it never looks as good as I hope it will.  A collage-type approach may have worked better here.

On the other hand, I'm quite happy with the three-dimensional effect on the belt.  Achieving this was a rather elementary lesson in geometry and shading, but a lesson greatly needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.