Wednesday, December 31, 2014

It's My Party

It's New Year's Eve, so this seems a suitable post. 

This is a piece I painted on the fly one afternoon, when an ex and I were bored and looking for something to do, so we hit up the dollar store and bought some canvases and acrylics and paint took them back to his place to see what we could come up with.

Acrylic on 8x10 canvas
The original idea for this was supposed to be a kind of "Waking Up In Vegas" meets Norman Rockwell's "Santa's Helper" (Not that I'd be so arrogant as to compare myself to Rockwell) but instead of the kind of dazed and confused look I was going for, the subject ended up looking more sad and dejected in an all-dressed-up-nowhere-to-go or even an it's-my-party-and-I'll-cry-if-I-want-to kind of way.

The texture on this piece came out looking almost watercolor-ish in parts, mostly because I was adding water to the paint itself.  My dollar-store canvas was not properly primed so it was sucking up colour like a vacuum.

This is one of my better human-body attempts, aside from the one short arm and the legs lacking much in the way of shading and depth.  But, I tend to have problems showing people in many poses beyond standing, so I was happy to have her remain somewhat proportionate and even look like she's seated and not just contorted.  However, if I were to go back I'd add more shading so her legs look like spaghetti-like and so that she looks like like she's floating in the corner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.