Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Portrait - Gord Downie

If you've read the "About" section on this blog already, you may have gotten an inkling that I am a fan of the Tragically Hip.

I am, indeed, a huge fan, ever since I was 12 years old and I first saw the video for "At the Hundreth Meridian" on MuchMusic, then proceeded to steal a dubbed cassette copy of Road Apples out of my sister's bedroom.

I'm not ashamed to admit that for many years afterward I harbored a none-too-subtle obsession with lead vocalist Gord Downie.  I think that may have been common for a few Canadian girls who came of age in the mid-1990s.

Somewhere around 2009 or 2010 I visited some friends in the city.  Their house had a number of paintings on the wall, done by the guy.  One such picture, he told me, had been done entirely in three colors only.

I wanted to try that.

Google image search led me to this particular publicity shot of Gord in his ubiquitous Hip toque, in black and white.

Image Credit: Chart Attack
For the colors I opted for two contrasting colors and a neutral: purple, yellow and white.  I fiddled with some of the contrast and brightness on the original photo to make the lines and shading more sharp.

This is the final product:



I am mostly happy with it, aside from some proportion issues - his face is longer than in real life.  I'm really happy with how the left hand turned out, but not so much the right.  Overall, it is one of my favorites, as not only does the subject matter mean a lot to me, but it was one of the first times I really challenged myself and came out with a finished product I was super-excited about.

1 comment:

  1. Picasso didn't worry about proportion...great work

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.