Thursday, January 1, 2015

Autumn's Here - Redux


I'm going to be honest.  When I started this piece, which was inspired by multiple listenings of Hawksley Workman's "Autumn's Here" from Lover/Fighter, I was scared out of my wits, as the vision I had in my mind felt incredibly ambitious at the time.  If you listen to the song, there are a lot of references to ghosts and abandoned railways and the like.  It has always made me think of those things you sometime find, way back in the woods, things like rusted out cars and crumbling foundations that tell stories about people who may have once settled there, but left without looking back.  At one point, Workman references immigrants moving pianos from Europe to Canada.  I took that reference and the imagery this tune brings up and kind of ran with it.

I don't consider this one a rough start, because for a long time, I considered it done.  What really happened, however, was that I had reached a point where I liked how things were coming together and got worried that if I continued on, I was going to muck the whole thing up.

Acrylic on 16x20 canvas
A few weeks ago, when I started playing around with fixing some of my old paintings, I made the decision that I was going to *finish* this piece, once and for all.

This is my finished - actually, really and truly finished - product:


I'm happy as hell with most of it.  Especially the rocks.  I was always kind of bothered by how the rocks in the original kind of just looked like amorphous blobs of grey.  The forest in the background seems more three-dimensional, like there is more depth to it.  Lastly, I am really excited about how the piano turned out, although in my original vision, it would be more dilapidated, as though nature was taking it back.  I'm a little disappointed that I wasn't able to get that across.

I've been told that there's a bit of an "Alice In Wonderland" feel to this, which can be partially attributed to the fact that I still have some real problems with proportion...  I'd been working on this for over two weeks before I came to the realization that these are either some pretty stunted trees, or that is one HUGE piano, judging from the height ratio between it and the seemingly mature oak just in behind it.

Meh. Live and learn.  In the meantime, I'll call it surrealism.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.