Saturday, February 28, 2015

The House That Dripped Blood

I got bored one day and bought a palette knife.  I don't really know anything about palette knifes.  I know more than I did when I did this piece (like how different mediums can help create a more three-dimensional look), but at the time I basically figured you took the knife and started slapping paint on.

This is the second piece in what I would like to become a series of paintings inspired by the album Tallahassee by the Mountain Goats.  This quick-and-dirty acrylic piece is based on track number five, "The House That Dripped Blood".

It's another rather literal interpretation of a single line of the song.

"The cellar door is an open throat"
Acrylic on 5 x 5 canvas
This was done rather quickly.  I like to think that I was able to get across the idea of either peeling, painted wood or crumbling red brick.  The idea is an extreme close up of the house in "Southwood Plantation Road" (also based on a song from said album), so I matched up the color scheme. 

The concrete entrance is supposed to look empty and cavernous.  Some of the shading and perspective is a little off, but overall I think I managed a sense of foreboding.   It's a bit more impressionist than I usually go for, the surrounding grass especially.

It's kind of interesting to note that I went from a far-away, very detached perspective in the other piece to an extreme close-up here.   Should I continue pursuing this series, I'd like to treat the decaying house as my main focus, rather than the couple the album is based around.

**************************************************

UPDATE:  So, whenever I have a song or literary inspired piece, I like to tweet or post to the Facebook wall of whichever artist has so inspired me.  After posting this piece to Twitter, I received this response from John Darnielle and pretty much couldn't stop grinning for three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.