Monday, June 1, 2015

Abstract: Forest Fire

I never really *got* abstract painting.

I like how a lot of it looks.  I can appreciate it on a level of "Hey, that looks cool."

But I don't think I get it.

However, I'm dabbling in the abstract, here and there, lately.  I can't say it's been an epiphany at all, but I'm starting to understand the appeal, from an artist's perspective.  The emphasis falls on the process, rather than the end result.

It's kind of similar to writing in the 'stream-of-conciousness' style. You know when its done when its done, and you know where you're going when you get there.

This is where I found myself last week:

12x9 (? - too lazy to find the measuring tape) on canvas

I had some help from the gentleman friend with this one, so it has a little extra specialness to me.

I had started off with a lot of vibrant reds and the silver.  I just bought some metallic silvers and golds and wanted to play with them. As we mucked around, a bit of a forest scene began to emerge.

I like it. I think it's interesting.

I found a frame that fit the canvas I used which set off the piece rather nicely.  I'm too cheap most of the time for custom framing, so I've been raiding yard sales and thrift shops for empty wood frames.

Final in frame.  Pardon the glare and the dated wood panelling in the background.
I sometimes think I should try to refinish these frames I find, but I rather like the dings and scratches.  They add character.

So, I may try more of this. I still may not entirely *get* abstract painting, but I'd like to make more effort to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.