Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The Better To Eat You With

I don't have much to say about this piece.  Screwing around with Instagram turned into screwing around and painting for painting's sake (which is not a bad thing, by far).

6x6 Acrylic on masonite board

Basically, this was a one-off whose purpose was to allow me to practice painting mouths and even moreso, teeth, which can be a pain to draw and paint.

I have a love-hate relationship with my teeth, due to an overbite caused by an underdeveloped jaw, and over the years I have taken a page from Shelley Winters' biography and learned to smile with a lightly-opened mouth in order to slightly disguise the overbite.

I don't know why I just told you that.

Technical Stuff

I did this on masonite hardboard, and I'm really not sure how I feel about hardboard yet.  I find it doesn't have the same tooth as canvas so it can be difficult to get a solid, non-streaky color (as I found in previous works).

Overall, though, I like the pop art feel here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.