Thursday, October 8, 2015

Self-Portrait in Red and Purple

Hey y'all.

Haven't been painting much because we've been... well.. painting. The house, that is.  After three years we've finally gotten rid of the 'Rental Property Beige' and have adorned the main floor with rooms of oranges, yellows, and greens.  It's all very warm and inviting and makes the place feel like less of a run-down mess.

If it can't be structurally sound, at least it can be pretty.

So that has been taking up a lot of time, energy, and space.  My art space is currently occupied, but I managed to bang this out last week, mostly for the sake of practice, and working with light and dark tones.

Acrylic on 8x8 hard board
I started off entirely in red, and added the purple to darken a few areas.  I'm happy with the nose and mouth here.  Noses and mouths are problem areas for me.. so many noses end up either looking like Voldemort (all nostril, no definition) or like a big hook or triangle.  The teeth here actually look pretty close to mine.. I have an overbite, but when in a resting state the teeth don't actually protrude past my bottom lip.  Usually attempts at teeth end up looking like the subject is snarling or grimacing, and that doesn't seem to be happening here.

Not entirely happy with the eyes, as they are rather huge, but I do like that I was able to make the glasses look like they are sitting naturally.  I tend to fit glasses within the limits of the face exactly, where in real life, frames usually stick out a bit, unless you're looking at someone dead on.

Hoping to have more works to share soon.  I have a couple on the go; another "Fatty" piece, and an addition to what I hope will become a complete Tallahassee collection.

I've also purchased some inexpensive watercolour paper in hopes of playing around with that as well.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I love the expression on the face and your bold use of colour. The pieces feels very much alive.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.