Monday, October 26, 2015

Tallahassee: First Few Desperate Hours (also, some updates).

When I listen to "First Few Desperate Hours" the second track on the Mountain Goats' Tallahassee, the impression I get is that it's moving day for the album's Alpha Couple, and things are going all kinds of wrong.

I relate to this album in that I live in a place that has become a bit of a money pit.  The day I got the keys, I looked around my newfound abode and collapsed onto the basement stairs and proceeded to bawl my eyes out in absolute "What-the-actual-fuck-have-gotten-myself-into?" terror.

To me, the 'Few Few Desperate Hours' of the title relates to the little things that can go wrong, and the abject fear of making a major, life-changing investment. The feeling of seeing little things you'd not noticed in the excitement of finding a place to call home, until the day it becomes real and it's all yours, warts and all.

For this piece, I wanted that kind of feeling, of sitting there, with all your shit in a pile on the porch, maybe some things got broken, others got lost.

Acrylic 12x20
In my original sketches for this piece, I had intended to have "Hopes" and "Dreams" inscribed on the boxes in marker, like someone would label "Books" or "Bedroom Stuff" but when I tried it on the painted version, it looked silly.

For technical stuff, I don't really have much to say here, except that I love painting wood.  Also, getting the shadow from the one porch beam to line up properly was a challenge.  Glazing is great for shadows, I find.

My favourite part here is actually one of the tiniest details: the little wee broken nail in the centre board of the porch.  That's my favourite.

I still aim to make this a full collection. You can see the other pieces here and here.

**********************************************************

In other news, Colectomy Scar is up at the Quest Art Gallery for another three-ish weeks, then comes down on November 16.

Here's me looking a little demented at opening night:

Got my crazy-eyes on, apparently.
Also, I have the honour of being a contributor in the next edition of Dirty Chai which, according to their website, was slated to go out today. My recent piece "Fatty Wants to Dance" is being featured. However, their editor, who is super-cool, is also a super-busy mom and I don't actually know how much of the heavy lifting she does on her own.  I'll post a link once the new issue goes live.  

'Tis all for now.  I've got my work space back so hopefully I'll be a little more productive over the next while, between Halloween, vacations, and other day-to-day stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.