Sunday, December 6, 2015

It Was Unseasonably Warm for December.

It's been a lovely few days, these last few ones. You'd hardly think this was December in Central Ontario, what with the temperatures sitting between 5 and 10 degrees celcius.

Yesterday was a balmy 7 degrees, so the Well-Travelled One and I took a drive out to Bluewater Beach and went for a walk along the boardwalk as the sun began to set.

The sky was an ethereal haze, with no discernable horizon, just a orange/blue gradient.  I snapped a few pictures with my phone, hoping I could catch even a fraction of the atmosphere.

Surprisingly enough, I was able to snap a few decent shots of the shoreline, and later that night I chose one of them and within about 2 hours I had come up with this:

10 x 8 Acrylic on Masonite
I'm pretty stoked about it, to be honest. Getting sun to look right was kind of aggravating, and when I started adding rocks I was worried that I just completely blew it, because at first they refused to look like anything except flat blobs of the wrong-color of paint floating in space.  Once I started adding some highlights and shadows they looked more like the clusters of rocks that they were meant to be.

My favorite part is the bottom left-hand corner, where the orange of the sand blends into the blue of the water where the wave is supposed to be pulling away.

I did this using Liquitex soft body acrylics and a fair amount of glaze and retarder to blend the colors.  I used a primed Masonite board as my support, which I sometimes find easier to use than canvas when I want smoother looking colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.