Saturday, December 12, 2015

Snow Fence at Bluewater Beach

This is another quick one, based again on the pictures that I took at Bluewater Beach last week.

Acrylic on 8x10 gallery canvas
While I do say this was a quick one -- it took me about an hour and a half to two hours to complete -- it was a bit of a challenge, in that I based it on a photograph that I had not only taken, but also applied an Instagram filter to (see here) so I was not only capture the scene, but work the vignette into the image as well.

I'm finding I really enjoy working with the soft body acrylics on smaller pieces, even if my palette is limited with that particular medium (although I seem to do well with the starter set).  They seem to work better with glazing medium and retarder.   To keep the colours really pale and almost watercolour-like, I used a shit-load of glazing medium. 

I have a piss-poor quality house-painting brush that I got from the dollar store for reasons that escape me, and it turns out it is really good for dry-brush blending (if that's a thing).  It's what I used for the vignette in the sky and gave the darker blues a nice, kind of feathered appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.