Sunday, January 31, 2016

Girls at the Pool

I took a cruise with about 20 family members this past November. We had pretty decent weather through most of the week (although things went south *snicker* around our second last day on the boat.

The boat had a pretty nice salt-water pool with two water slides and four hot tubs. After a day in the pool, however, you'd start to feel kind of like a potato chip.

My mom got a good action shot of the girls jumping into the pool, which was the inspiration for this piece:

Acrylic on 16x20
I was nervous about this one, but surprisingly the difficult part wasn't the girls themselves, it was that there was so much going on in the background. I took a break from this one for about a month, as I was getting frustrated with how girls didn't really seem to stand out from the busy background, and at one point I messed up the skin tones and they ended up looking like they were severely sunburnt (which, surprisingly, no one was).

So I walked away, and then last night did a marathon session to get it done. I'm not sure if I'm entirely satisfied, but sometimes I need a day or two to sit on things before I can consider a piece complete.

Fun Fact: To do the mosaic tiles on the pool wall, I used drywall tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.