Sunday, January 3, 2016

Portrait - Shirley Manson

I have another work in progress that once again is intimidating the hell out of me. I figured I needed to have a few go-to ideas to work on for practice for those times when I want to paint, but am not, because of reasons, able to attach the current WIP.

I'd like to get better at portraiture, so I've put aside some pictures of people I can use as muses for practice work.

First up, one of my childhood heroes.

Acrylic 6x6 on hard board
Shirley Manson, lead singer of 90s band Garbage, was a major aspiration figure in my formative teen years and I spent a lot of high school attempting, badly, to emulate her.  So she is a pretty good fit for one of my first attempts at fan art (my actual first attempt being my Gord Downie portrait - another hero of mine).

I actually made two attempts, the first one turning out laughably cartoonish.  So I went back and made an attempt to fix the eyes, as well as the weird hairline.  I'm pretty happy with how the hair turned out. I think there was some improvement on the eyes, I'd be lying if I said I didn't think they were still wonky as hell, as I've somehow made her slightly cross-eyed AND cock-eyed.

But the hair looks, good, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.