Thursday, March 17, 2016

And We Called Her "Julie"

There's a story behind this.

A few years ago, one of my best friends and I took a trip to Toronto to visit another friend who was quite sick and in hospital.  Said other friend is doing much better these days. That being said, sign your donor cards, folks!

Dan and I used to have a penchant for mischief. Generally well-intentioned, mostly harmless mischief.

On our way to the hospital we stopped to pick up some get well cards, but since it was close to christmas and get well cards are depressing as all hell, I think we ended up with Swedish Christmas cards and a vibrating stuffed penguin, because Carlton Cards used to be a hell of a place.

At the check out, Dan exclaimed "Look, Andie! Balloons!" pointing at the helium filled mylar balloons.

I smiled at the cashier and said "Oh, I can't say no. He's been so good today."  I should probably mention that he was probably about 32 at the time.

Vengeance for this crack was swift, and came in the form of a 30-some-odd-old, 6'2" ish man literally skipping down the hall of the Bayfield Mall, giant yellow happy-face balloon in hand.

We called her "Julie."

Acrylic in 10x8 wood panel
 This is "Julie" riding the TTC.  Yes, we took that thing all the way to the city, in the car, through Yorkdale, on the subway, and into the hospital.

(There does exist footage of my friend getting rather fresh with Julie on the subway, but you didn't hear that from me).

Julie at the hospital, in her full glory. The nurses got a kick out of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.