Monday, April 18, 2016

Girls in Old Quebec - Redux

This re-do is a bit different than ones that I've done before. Most of the time when I've made a second attempt at a painting, I paint overtop of what is already there.

This time, I decided to just go from scratch.

You may have seen my earlier post of a picture I did of my girls on a visit to Quebec a few years ago, and read of my trials trying to use gouache as a medium.

I kind of suck at gouache.  Acrylic is really more my 'thing'.

So I decided that since I still really like this image and wanted to do it more justice, I'd try to tackle it in acrylic this time.

To refresh your memory, here is the original piece I did in gouache:

Gouache on 12x16 canvas

And here is my second attempt:

Acrylic on 11x14 canvas
Putting preference of medium aside, I like to think this is a pretty good indication of my progress as a painter.  While there is still some issue with proportion (that wall in the background was actually about three times Reagan's height, rather than double).

Truth be told, I was never happy with the original.  This, I am happy with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.