Thursday, April 7, 2016

Purple Fantasy Mountain

Night time scenes are challenging.  Did you know that?

I'm starting to figure that out.

I guess what it basically comes down to is that instead of figuring where to shade, you have to concentrate on where to show light.

And always the muted colours.

Acrylic on 10x8 panel - SOLD
I'll be honest. My original thoughts were to paint a scene of our local waterfront at night.  There is a spot just outside of town where you come down a hill and you can see the entire bay all lit up.  I thought I might be able to paint from memory, but lets be honest, that didn't happen, so I just kind of let this picture take me where it wanted.  Where I ended up was not even remotely to where I started out.

Oh, there was water, so that's kind of the same, right?

(I still plan to paint that scene, at some point. But I need to take some reference photos first. Or get myself a plein air set-up.)

Wood supports don't seem to suck color up as quickly as canvas does (even primed) so there's a lot of opportunity to move color around, which can be liberating and frustrating, at the same time. I must have colored the board in with purples and blues, and then wiped them off again, about twenty times.

What resulted was an interesting sort of glazing effect. I was using a lot of gloss gel which gave a bit of transparency to the color as well.  This worked out well for the sky and water, giving both a bit of depth.

The frustrating part would come when I got things looking just about right, and then I'd try to blend a bit more and rub a whole swath of color right off the board.

That happened a few times, and it sucked.

I don't have a lot of complaints here. The stars look a little juvenile, but that's about it.  I like the look of the water quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.