Friday, July 22, 2016

Modern Day Behemoth

This piece was a royal pain in the ass.

Acrylic on 11x14 canvas
The gentleman friend does a lot of work out in Western Ontario. Occasionally I will drive out to where he works and find myself awed (and a little disturbed, granted) by the fields of wind turbines that have sprung up, hundreds of meters above the tree line.

The original concept for this painting was a field of turbines, towering over the trees, fields, and farmhouses.

And I Just. Couldn't. Get. It. Right.

I must have scrubbed, and repainted, and regretted, and swore, I don't know how many times. Finally I decided to go in an entirely different direction and focus on a single turbine against the sky.

At first, I didn't like the end result, but I guess it has kind of grown on me. I still have problems with perspective, as you can see, but I like the slightly cartoonish quality to the piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.