Sunday, March 19, 2017

Colon Cancer Awareness Month: Prep Time.

There's an explanation for this. As you may or may not know, March is Colon Cancer awareness month. I wanted to do something for it, since I often feel like I am a bad cancer survivor. I don't post the colour of my undies or copy and paste vague threats to delete friends who don't copy and paste posts about the terribleness of cancer, and I don't Relay for Life or Run For The Cure (Susan G Komen can suck it anyway).

So I intend to do a small series of paintings themed around my experiences as a cancer survivor and living post-colectomy. They are not self-portraits per se, but reflections of my reality. I also wanted to break some of the taboos that tend to stymie discussion of... You know... "Butt stuff" or "poop stuff."


Acrylic on 8x8 canvas
This piece illustrates a major part of my reality as a cancer survivor and a long-time IBS patient, having been diagnosed at 18 with ulcerative colitis. 


I now get scoped and biopsied about once a year to make sure the cancer doesn't return.  Prepping for scopes is the worst part (closely followed by driving to the city on a completely empty stomach with no caffeine in my system).  It's quite literally a pain in the ass (invest in good toilet paper!).

Colon cancer is one of the most easily treated cancers, while simultaneously having the highest mortality rate, since it is often difficult to detect. If you are over 50, have a family history, or other risk factors, you should be getting screened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave your feedback. Constructive criticism is always welcome.